Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont™ has an exciting opportunity for a Field & Plant Production Technician to join our company at the St. Joseph, IL commercial corn production facility. At our St. Joseph facility, we value teamwork and safety. Our team is like a family and whoever joins us can be sure that they will be welcomed into a group of individuals who work together, are fair and equitable, and support each other! We are in a fantastic location, within 10 minutes of a university town and within commutable distance of urban metropolises, while also offering the charm and benefits of a small-town atmosphere.
Corteva Agriscience™, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont™ offers an excellent benefits package that begins on your first day of employment. This includes strong wages ($19-21/hr. depending on qualifications, education, and experience), a generous 401k match, health and dental insurance, 15 days of vacation, a variable bonus plan, and much more! We welcome candidates who want to grow their career with us! We are looking for candidates who take initiative, love to learn, work hard, and have stable work history. Please ensure you attach an updated copy of your resume with your application for full consideration.
Utilize your leadership skills in this role by overseeing seasonal temporary workers in plant and field operations tasks and processes. In this role, you will provide expertise to monitor operational areas, act as a troubleshooter, and work with others to achieve productions goals and objectives. In this role, you will perform a variety of tasks associated with general plant operations and field activities that will evolve with each season throughout the year. You will be responsible for setting up and monitoring highly automated equipment for various processes such as harvest, conditioning, treating, and packaging.
During peak seasons (August - March) the St. Joseph production plant runs multiple shifts up to a 24/7 schedule based on demand. Shift hours can be 8 to 12 hours depending on which schedule is utilized.
Responsibilities could include, but are not limited to:
• General field tasks and processes such as scouting, planting, field maintenance, and pollination activities, etc.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationship with growers, contractors and seed field inspectors
• Manage seasonal workers including scheduling when to enter fields, monitoring their work quality, and safety compliance.
• Harvest activities such as receiving, husk/sort, drying, shelling, etc.
• Conditioning activities such as gravity operation, packaging, palletizing, etc.
• Return and rework activities
• Warehousing activities including forklift operation, collecting samples, pooling, etc.
• Gathering data for future aid in continuous improvement projects
• Various other duties as assigned by supervisor
The following are required:
• Two-year technical degree/diploma, or High School Diploma/GED and equivalent work experience
• 3 – 5 years of on-the-job or related agricultural experience
• Valid Driver's License
• Excellent communication skills
• Computer skills
• Willing and able to work in a variety of areas (field, plant, warehouse)
• Willing and able to climb and/or work in elevated areas; standing and sitting for extended periods
• Willing and able to work both outdoors and indoors in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions
• Willing and able to lift up to 50 lbs. and complete work that involves repetitive motion and/or repetitive lifting with or without reasonable accommodation
• Willingness and ability to work overtime hours including weekend work and/or shift work as required during seasonal peaks
The following are preferred:
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Ability to obtain Certified Pesticide Applicator license
• Supervisor/leadership/coaching skills and experience
• Knowledge of production agriculture and production plant operations
• Priority management
• Teamwork skills
• Problem solving capabilities
• Conflict management skills
• Intermediate level of PC skills desired
• Knowledge of lean manufacturing principles such as 5S, Continuous Improvement and Standardized Work are a plus
Corteva Agriscience ™, the world's first dedicated agriculture start-up, serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what's right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.